• Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
• Other residual heavy metal ions
FLUORIDE: Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 lpm) per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction).
ARSENIC: This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two Berkey PF-2™ Elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 liters). The Royal Berkey® system is about 3.25 gallons (12.3 liters) therefore the Berkey PF-2™ Elements should be replaced after 1,000/3.25 (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the Berkey PF-2™ Elements should be replaced after 10 months; if the system is refilled about twice per day, the Berkey PF-2™ Elements should be replaced about every five months). Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
1) Do not boil this element.
2) Berkey PF-2™ Elements reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
3) When lower reservoir is full of water, the Berkey PF-2™ Elements will be immersed.
4) When water level in lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ Elements, it is normal for small amounts of water to burp through threads connecting Berkey PF-2™ elements to Black Berkey®Purification Elements.
6) If/when you conduct the “Red Food Color Test” for the Black Berkey® Purification Elements, you must remove the Berkey PF-2™ Elements first. Failure to do so may result in the voiding of the Berkey PF-2™ Element’s warranty.
7) The lower reservoir in most gravity purification systems has a two to three gallon capacity and a typical household uses about one refill per day. We recommend that the upper reservoir be filled at night. The water from upper reservoir should be purified by morning. It is normal for the purification process to slow down significantly when water level in lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ Elements. Households requiring more water can speed up the flow rate by drawing off the purified water into a water pitcher or other container when water level in lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ Elements.
*For maximum removal efficiency, maintain the water being treated between a PH level above 5 and below 7. Actual capacity is dependent on the level of contamination of arsenic, fluoride and other competing heavy metal ions. Unusually high levels of these contaminants may reduce the capacity and efficiency of these elements.